In the weeks and months after my son was diagnosed, it felt like we were stumbling in the dark. It’s odd because if he had a “regular” disease, the doctors would have given us treatment instructions, referrals to other doctors for help, follow up appointments, etc. With autism though, it’s not like that. They gave us a folder with articles in it to read and told us keep doing what we were doing. For 3 years, we’ve been stumbling through a maze of treatment options basically having to a doctor to our child. It’s extremely frustrating!!!
One thing the psychologist recommended was reading the works of Dr. Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D. If you have a child or are close to a child with autism, I can’t describe the hope his books gave me. Don’t expect inspiring messages, you won’t find that here. What you will read are examples and techniques that he has used that have shown remarkable results. This was the first place I started and I’d recommend it to you as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment